Sunday, October 13, 2013

Life Wins Round Two. No running today.

Had a very rough night last night. I was feeling pain that wouldn't go away the last two days. Became a constant dull ache in the lower abdomen/groin area Friday morning, carried over to Saturday morning when I was woken by stabbing spasms there in the lower abdomen. The pain radiated both back and front. Walking (even gently) caused a slight groin pain with each foot fall. Standing from a seating position to a full upright position caused a pulling pain. Sitting down caused pain.

By the end of the day the stabbing pains were coming between every 5 minutes to as long as an hour apart for many hours, but were getting more intense. At 1:30 am it was more intense than labor for my two children at home was. How do I know that? Because when everything went 'white', for the first time in my life I literally passed out in pain. Came to quickly off the floor and was just a mess. Tried to get to my phone and another spasm hit immediately. I almost passed out again. I fought it so hard and grabbed my bed. Broke out in a full blown hair dripping sweat. Being home alone and scared as heck, I called 911 and paramedics got there very quickly. I had never called an ambulance for myself. I never rode in one.

In the ambulance, they hooked up an EKG (I guess women exhibit heart issues with lower abdominal pain??) and told me to relax and breath deep. Per the machine, my pulse was only 48. They put an IV in. I was not happy.

However, at the hospital I was given a pain med through the IV (BURNED!) and I was happier. It took the constant ache down from a 5 to a 2 or 3. The spasms were brought down from 7's and 8's to 5's. Enough to catch your breath and breathe through it but not enough to break a sweat or feel sick.

At 3:15 am and at 4:30 am I was given very nasty red drinks. At 5:30am I was given my first CT scan through a big donut machine. It was okay except the stuff they put in the IV. He warned me that it will make me feel like I just peed and make my skin all tingly. I giggled when I had that 'just peed' sensation but when my skin became a creeping burning sensation on my upper chest I was worried.  He said he forgot to mention it is like a hot flash on steroids.

Doctor told me that the CT scan showed no intestinal abnormalities or impactions. But he found a cyst that is '4.5 centimeters' on my remaining ovary. He said he suspects that is the culprit and ordered an ultra-sound. The ultrasound confirmed it to be a 'complex cyst' of 4.5 centimeters. I guess cysts can cause a lot of pain in the abdomen even though inches away from the area. Something about nerve endings. Too tired to understand it all.

I thought 4.5 cm was small and he explained it is just 'a little smaller than a ping pong ball' and is considered large. He stated I need to call my GYN Monday morning and they will need to go in laparoscopically and look at it because of my endometriosis past, as well as to look for adhesions from my 2010 hysterectomy, and to insure the cyst itself is okay as complex ones are sometimes "bad guys".

He also suggested a colonoscopy (NOOOOOO!!!) to insure the sites of where the pre-cancerous polyps were removed last year aren't scarred or developing adhesions.

He gave me a prescription for heavy narcotic pain killers. As a note - when I had my hysterectomy I was given 20 of the same type and my doctor called on day three post-op and was SHOCKED I had not taken a single pill since my first 24 hours home and then, I only took HALF doses when I did. I bet I have a jar of expired ones in my cabinet. Seriously, pain isn't something that normally kicks my butt as evidenced by my hysterectomy and my two natural births. Last night was SCARY.

When they released me just before 8am I realized I had no ride home. Thank God they now take credit cards and I had grabbed my purse. Took a 2.5 hour nap and woke up with that dull ache. Dammit.

NOT running my long run today.

TMI below!!! Do not scroll down unless you really want to know more.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The dull ache feels like being very constipated and tenderness existed in my front groin area when touched. However, my bowel movements were absolutely normal and regular both days. No constipation or diarrhea at all. Urination was normal. I was able to pass gas here and then but it didn't help, didn't feel related and wasn't at all gasey. When the spasms occurred it felt like I was being broken inside much like when in labor. I would be resting and then cry out loud in sudden pain. The spasm pains are very short for the most part. They are just frequent and have now gone on for at least 28 hours.

I hated waking up from my two hour nap when I got home and finding a spasm woke me and the pain was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment