Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Lesson in Shoes

I have been increasing my mileage the last two or so weeks. Also, I have been increasing speed.

There has been a cost though. My feet hurt. The shoes are so tight across the width of my foot it is very uncomfortable on the road. Today, I felt pain on the on the outer edge on the inside of my left foot (not in or under the arch, but across the top of it).

When it was time to go to track for group speedwork after work, I drove instead to the shoe store where I bought my shoes. I also brought my brand new (still unworn) pair of the same exact shoe I bought on sale, in case I needed to go a size up since it felt like they were shrinking. The salesperson was so amazingly helpful. He first explained that the foot pain on the inside could be from last nights very intense hillwork/speed work. He checked my shoes and agreed they were too tight across the front width of my foot.

He also compared the wear of my used shoes (with 138 miles on them) to the new shoes. I am landing on the inner heel but rolling off the middle of the shoe. He said the wear is 'fine' and shows nothing to worry about.

Then, he fixed my shoes - are you ready? - he took the manufacturers inserts out.

He took off his shoes and showed me his were the same. I took them for a test spin around the parking lot and WOW!!! My feet were so happy. :)

I couldn't wait to try them out at home. I ran my fastest 1.6 straight miles as a test run (this is a recovery week) and here I am without a single foot complaint. I even took them on a 'hard' quarter mile loop in my neighborhood park to test for impact issues with the inserts being gone. No issues.

I wish I had thought of taking out the inserts a month or two ago. I didn't even know that they came out!

Funny the things you learn along the way.

Shoes: Asics Gel Foundation 10
Weight: 165
1.6 miles up and down in the hood @ a 10:57 pace per Garmin.
Weather: Very cool, refreshing light rain.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha Don't you feel like a goof when they do something as simple as removing the insert??? They've done stuff like that to me before, and I feel like a total dumb ass when it happens. lol

    This is totally unrelated, but have you signed up to be a Girls On The Run Volunteer? We need more "running buddies" in a bad way. Here's a blurb from their web site:

    Brief Description:
    Share your excitement for running as a Running Buddy Volunteer. This life-changing after-school program for 8 to 11 year old girls combines self-esteem enhancing lessons with running workouts and games to develop the whole girl-her physical, mental, emotional and social self. Join us for a practice 5-K (4/28) and a Community 5K (Starlight Run, 6/4). Running Buddies are paired with girls for both runs to encourage and support their accomplishment. Fee covers Starlight Run & Background check.

    Fees:
    $30.00

    Online Reg. Closes:
    April 27, 2011 11:59 PM Pacific Time

    Their site: http://www.girlsontherunpdx.org/volunteer.php

    Feel free to email or call me if you have any questions. willrunforcoffee at gmail dot com 503.910.0028 (cell/text #)

    ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, this is actually sounding interesting to me. Not the Starlight one as I can't make that date, but for future events. Followed that link and found there is a SW Washington chapter and wrote the contact just now for more info. Thanks!

      I am hoping if anyone else reading this DOES have those days free, they will volunteer.

      Delete
  2. Update: the fix didn't help the arch pain, but it did stop the feeling of being too tight. I had to get an entirely different shoe yesterday (2 weeks after this initial post) to stop the arch pain. See yesterday's blog for details.

    ReplyDelete