Finding a hilly road is not that difficult in my area. In fact, trying to find a flat road is near impossible. So, I chose the hilliest section I could find in my area. Here is a GPS used map showing the elevation I ran.
What I found interesting in this exercise was it wasn't going fast that was hard, it was slowing myself down that was. I had to do that a few times on the up hill climbs. Coach told us to walk if needed, but luckily, I was able to bring the HR down with a nice slow slog on the inclines.
- I ran my first 3.1 miles non-stop run under a 12 minute average pace!
- In fact, I blew it out the door with a whopping 11:35 minute average pace.
- I shaved a full 7 minutes and 30 seconds off my previous time on this same route from four months ago. I still can't fathom that. Where will I be in another four months?
NOT SO FUN NEWS:
- Although I am diligent about rolling, and my doing my IT band/knee routine every day at lunch, my right knee is now gently reminding me of it's presence. Luckily I have a PT appointment for Thursday already in place.
BACK TO GOOD NEWS:
- I will let the photo say it all. :)