Sunday, September 11, 2011

Learning to Breathe

Breathing is the hardest part of running outdoors on the track for me. Each time I go out it feels like I can't get my breath and when I finally stop running I am panting like huffing and puffing like crazy trying to get my breathing back to normal.

Very bothersome. This doesn't happen though when I run my normal pace indoors.

To increase my lung capacity I decided four days ago to increase two out of three of my indoor workouts to full on sprint speeds. Today I wanted to match my very last sprint workout which was running a full (treadmill) mile at 2 MINUTES less than my comfort zone.

I did it and beat my 2011 (treadmill) mile time by an additional 25 seconds.

And was panting and wheezing afterward.

When running I try very hard to breathe in deep and exhale slowly. This just doesn't work for me yet. I am able to easily breathe in deep and smoothly as I run, but I have to exhale by blowing out mt breath in several bursts. I am hoping that I can get this breathing thing under control before it cools down enough to get back outdoors on the dirt.


I did a SECOND workout today as well (since I did my sprints so fast). Used the iFit pre-programmed Power Walk workout for 25 minutes. It too, had me huffing and puffing like a steam train taking a hill. It also had me calling "Jillian" the trainer, a bad name a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment