Thursday, September 15, 2011

Weight Issues


















My goal is to run the 5K in Portland, on December 4th, 2011. That is only 11 weeks and 2 days away. My doctor gave me clearance to run again, but I was told to avoid asphalt/street running until I get to a certain weight. Well, that weight is 22 pounds from now.

I have been running a little over four weeks. During those four weeks the scale has gone up and down and up and down the same three pounds. As of today, total NET loss = 1 pound.

Yeah, I feel so much stronger, my clothes are fitting a little looser and muscle weighs more than fat, but that isn't going to help my knees if I don't lose POUNDS before I hit the asphalt for December's run.

Feeling pretty discouraged about the weight right now. I think of every set of tens on the scale as a decade and I just want to get into my next 'decade' down. I am so close but it just isn't happening yet.

Today's workouts:

  • Walked two miles at work (1 mile per break)
  • Powerwalk - Jillian Michaels Level 2 week 1 day 3 on the treadmill for 25 minutes (7% incline!)
  • Sprint intervals at max speed every other mile for 16 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I've got a secret that'll net you those 22 lbs and then some. Only it's not a secret. You've seen me do it. I lost 90 lbs in about 7 months and it was the easiest thing I've ever done.

    Exercise just simply IS NOT going to make you lose weight. It can't. I'll happily share everything I know about the Paleo/Primal diet with you if you want. If not, I won't bug you with it. All I can say is it's easy, it isn't just about weight, but it will drastically improve your total quality of life.

    I'd suggest to get started watch the movie "Fathead" on either Netflix or Hulu. Both were streaming it free. http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will watch it. Promise. I did really great on beef/pork/poultry free diet for three years. All grains, veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, with dairy and occasional fish. Weight became an issue when I entered a long term rellationship with a meat eater that loved to cook. And then depression hit during a rough year and I literally gained 48 pounds between April and November of 2003. I am tempted to go back to what worked for me before it all fell apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The diet I am going to suggest is just exactly opposite of what you just posted.

    I'm going to suggest you ready mostly meats, veggies, nuts, and fruit with NO grains or legumes. The movie will explain some of it, I can fill in the rest. The hardest thing you'll have to wrap your head around is that the traditional "diet" advice it's almost dead wrong.

    ReplyDelete