Thursday, January 5, 2012

Paying the Piper

I don't normally run on asphalt more than once a week. Never within two days of a street race. And, the street race on Sunday was my longest distance yet. So whatever it was that possessed me on Tuesday night to run asphalt on what is normally a rest night, and to run a very difficult hill for me no less, in the dark...was probably not a good thing to be possessed by.

I am having creaks and pains I haven't had before. Mild shin splints. Tightness near to pain in the lower quads, and in the calves. Twinges in my knee area. What is odd is the tightness/slight discomfort is worse tonight than last night.

Looking this up to see if I should run through it or rest another night I found  a lot of articles about DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). "DOMS is associated with the microscopic tearing of muscle fibers during activity that is either more intense or more prolonged than normal."

Some sites said to take an additional REST DAY to give the muscles a little more time to mend without adding to the strains. Some said to run if you can without limping or hurting more. Being as I had been taking two rest days back to back most of my training since August (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) I decided not to run tonight. I added a second rest day for this week in hopes this will pass on the third day as DOMS often does.

LESSON LEARNED: No more radically changing my routine with such a big increase in difficulty so soon after a hard/long run!!!

HOPING: I am hoping I am back to normal Sunday morning. The weather is expected to be great (for a January) and the course is fast and FLAT! I want that fast run without stressing injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment