Wednesday, November 23, 2011

First Run Jitters

My first 5K in 12 years is just a little over 12 hours away.

Rain is expected and according to the event planners, they went out and ran the course today and reported that there are places in which the entire path is under 'an inch or two' of standing water. The race is on a path shared by 1,100-1,300 runners, joggers, walkers, and strollers both coming and going.

  • My worries are that I will either: Overheat in my winter runwear; be too cold; get too wet; dehydrate; strain my knees; or fight water on my eyeglasses (run without them???).

  • My hope is I will find others jogging in my weight/age range so I don't stand out like a sore thumb. I only lost a few pounds the last two weeks and am at 177 pounds today (might be 176 tomorrow??). That is huge compared to the joggers I see on the streets.

  • My focus is to just run MY pace as I predict that is going to be really hard for me when I see all the 8 min and 9 min runners take off around me (I am a 10 to 11 min runner under good conditions at this point).

  • My 1st goal is to finish through the crowd, puddles, rain and obstacles at under 35 minutes.

  • My 2nd goal is to finish without walking for any reason other than traffic jams of participants.

I am not having Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, but I bought myself a miniature 5.6 oz container of Dreyer's Drumstick ice cream. If I can meet either of my two goals, I will treat myself tomorrow night. If not, it will sit until the run in Portland 10 days later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment