Sunday, December 4, 2011

Where I was and where I am going


Last night I got a really nice note from a friend of mine. He told me, "You've come so far!" and this made me think. I didn't feel like I had come 'far', so today I went through my blog and my Fitday.com records.

On August 28th, I ran out doors for the first time in years, and it was on a flat cushy high school track. Though I tried really hard to go further, I had to stop at just one half of a mile.

Yesterday, I ran on a not-so-flat asphalt road for 3.1 miles. That is an improvement of over SIX TIMES the distance and it was done in a less inviting environment.

Before my friends note last night, I was stuck obsessing on my low times and feeling a bit down on how much further I have to go. But looking back in comparison to just 3.5 months ago, I HAVE come a long way. My friend was right!! I am feeling uncharacteristically accomplished at this moment.

My next goals are to lose weight so I can run more efficiently/healthily.
  • I want to run without having to worry about all this weight pounding my knees when I hit the asphalt.
  • I want to run without stressing my overworking my heart while lugging this weight around.

If you think I am exaggerating the effects of my weight and it's impact on my runs, go to the store and pick up a 25 pound bag of dog food. Now, take that 25 pound bag and go run around your block. Feel that? If not, try running 3.1 miles carrying that. When I started out, I was carrying an extra 37.5 pounds with me on each run.

  • I currently weigh 173. I hope to weigh 169 by my next run - January 8th, 2012
  • I hope to weigh 148 by June 17th (the last day of my twice weekly Training sessions I will be taking Jan 30-June 17th)
  • I hope to be able to run a decent race and keep my heart rate in safe zones.
  • And most of all - in the next seven months I hope to graduate from jogger at a 12:49 minute pace to a runner at a 10 minute pace. That is a HUGE difference. I think I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment